How can you strengthen nails that crack and peel? The ideal nail hardener should not contain formaldehyde; rather, opt for a natural or non-toxic strengthening agent. Formaldehyde has an unpleasant stench, yet it is widely used in building materials like particleboard as both preservative and fungicide (for embalming). As this chemical causes respiratory problems as well as leukemia in high concentrations; so it’s essential to limit exposure. Top quality nail polish brands usually avoid formaldehyde (dibutyl phthalate) or toluene altogether.
Table of Contents
Top 5 Best Nail Hardener Without Formaldehyde 2023
1. ella+mila Nail Care, Nail Strengthener – First Aid Kiss
We love this brand of nail products because they are 7-free. That means no formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, camphor, DBP, DHP, xylene, TPHP or formaldehyde resin is used. What’s more? They are certified vegan and cruelty-free with production done in the USA. Perhaps you already know about their “mommy and me” nail polishes that cater to children and parents alike as well as an ever growing selection of chip resistant colors that they add regularly. Additionally, their nail strengthener works wonders at strengthening weak nails; usually taking about one month for splitting or peeling nails to heal completely – plus it smells amazing too!
Here’s how it works: Apply one coat to the nails and wait a week before removing. They suggest using an non-acetone removal product for this step. Next, apply a single coat of nail strengthener after cleaning them; again, take off after one week. Put one more coat on during weeks three and four and take it off on day three; repeat this process three more times until all layers have been used up. You can even use the strengthener to cover colored enamel after four weeks! If you’re uncertain, check out some positive reviews describing its benefits: “Never chipped yet!” It was also described as feeling “silky smooth on my nails” plus improved overall appearance for brittle nails significantly.”
- 7-Free and Made in the USA without Formdehyde DBP, Toluene Camphor, Formdehyde Resin Xylene DBP Toluene or any combination thereof
- Vegans and certified-cruelty-free are also available
- It has a pleasant scent and is easy to clean with non-acetone remover
- For each application, only one coat is necessary.
- It can be used as a base layer
- Treating damaged nails may take up to a month with weekly or biweekly treatments.
2. Sally Hansen Treatment Hard as Nails
Does Sally Hansen nail polish hardener contain formaldehyde? No, it does not. As Nails is free from formaldehyde and toluene, Sally Hansen’s strengthening agent requires daily application for at least a week in order to strengthen nails; however, users typically see more robust results by the end of this time period. You can use Sally Hansen’s strengthening agent alone or as a base coat; it has excellent chip resistance and can easily be removed.
- After one week of daily application, nails have grown noticeably stronger.
- Clear nail polish that appears like clear varnish. Can be used alone or as a base coat.
- Easy to remove, chip-resistant
- No formaldehyde or toluene.
- Pro-vitamin B5 is included in this product, and green tea with antioxidants nourishes nails.
- Apply daily
3. Karma Organic Deep Nutrition Nails Strengthener
This natural nail softener offers the added bonus of protecting against fungal infections as well. Not only does it strengthen nails, but also improves their health overall. Furthermore, it’s hypoallergenic and free from formaldehyde DBP toluene and TPHP chemicals. Plus, Selaginella lepidophylla extract is employed in order to regenerate brittle nails with vegan-friendly ingredients like avocado coconut apricot oil as well as various plant oils – no surprise since this organic spa product ranks highly on PETA’s list for brands.
Use it on clean, bare nails for noticeable results within one week; best results are achieved after three weeks. Alternatively, you can use it as a base coat beneath another polish if desired. Furthermore, the manufacturer strives to conserve the environment by printing with soy-based ink and discontinuing plastic usage.
- Produced by organic spa brands and free from formaldehyde and toluene.
- Infused with plant oils, extracts, and vitamins that strengthen nails and prevent fungal infections
- You will notice a difference in a matter of days. Maximum benefits are achieved after three weeks.
- Doubles as a basecoat
- It’s not completely indifferent
4. NAIL-AID Keratin 3 Day Growth
Does it possible to grow stronger, longer nails with this nail hardener in just three days? Nails naturally grow at around three and 1/2 millimeters per year – this product won’t stop that. Furthermore, it prevents them from peeling or chipping so your nails look and feel stronger after application of the second coat. Keratin-based hardener helps strengthen weak nails instantly; apply a new coat every three days for extra protection against brittleness. You can either use it alone or as a base coat underneath colored lacquer; plus it’s free from 20 harmful ingredients such as formaldehyde and parabens.
- To prevent chipping and peeling, fortify the nails with Keratin
- A glossy, hard finish can be eye-catching on its own or double as a base coat for added depth and appeal.
- Within only three days, your nails have grown in length and strength.
- This formula contains no more than 20 hazardous ingredients, including formaldehyde.
- Applying a new coat three times a week will provide the optimal results.
5. Hard As Hoof Nail Strengthening Cream
It’s not a nail varnish that will instantly harden the nails; rather, it’s an intense moisturizer packed with nutrients to prevent chipping, splitting or peeling nails as well as helping restore cuticles back to health. This product has been extensively tested and proven successful; it’s been around for over 25 years! You can use it alongside any of the nail hardeners listed above and enjoy its coconut-scented fragrance that won’t greasy your hands.
Coconut oil, beeswax and silk protein make this product great for cracked heels or dry elbows – but remember to reapply as needed and massage in some more of the product underneath the tips for healthy nails in just a few weeks! With regular application you will see results: your nails will be straight and healthy again in no time!
- For maximum effectiveness, use in conjunction with nail hardeners.
- There are no immediate results other than smoother cuticles. It takes time.
No, formaldehyde isn’t necessary to harden natural nails. But non-toxic and helpful nail hardeners can prevent peeling and chipping while improving the long-term health of your nails. Most of them work great as either a base coat or clear polish when you need to give your nails some rest. We hope you found the solution that best meets your needs!
Leave a Reply